Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Called to Serve

I finally got my boy's blog up to date. The Mission He's pretty funny and we like him.

Thing 1 is on a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints in Uruguay, South America.He gets to send us email once a week and I look forward to that day as soon as I read the one from this week.

Today he moved to a new city and a new companion. Filled with sadness he bid farewell to people he has grown to love over the past 3 or 4 months. But also excitement for a new adventure. His first two companions were both from the U.S. but now he is with a companion from Columbia. He's living in a house with 3 other missionaries in a large city.

I have a new love for all missionaries now that I deeper than before. It's scary and exciting having your child move so far away, but knowing that he is on the Lord's errand makes it much easier. I'm also nicer to folks from other religions who go out and testify, sharing a message that they believe in. It's not easy talking to others about something so close to your heart.

When you see Mormon Missionaries riding bikes or walking about in your town, or maybe they will even knock on your door... I hope you will remember that they are somebody's kid and are far away from home working hard for something they believe in.



Called to Serve

Called to serve Him, Heavenly King of Glory
Chosen heir to witness for His name
Far and wide we tell the Father's story
Far and wide His love proclaim.

Onward ever onward
As we glory in His name
Onward ever onward
As we glory in His name
Forward, pressing forward
As the triumph song we sing

God our strength will be
Press forward
Ever called to serve our King.

4 comments:

Kara Lohberg said...

Wow. I never really thought about it that way (that they are someone else's kid far from home); I mean I knew it, but it never really hit me. I'm really proud of your son, and all who serve missions; it truly is the Lord's work. :)

Adventures in MetroLand said...

Uruguay?! This is very cool, I hope he enjoys the culture and gets to try some interesting new items. I hope he makes life long friends on this journey of his.

Tracy said...

Wow...How much I admire what your son is doing, Jenny... This takes courage, faith, trust, hope and a big heart. Just love that top photo! Hope he'll he be finding himself at "home" in his new place soon. ((HUGS)) to you both! :o)

Joy For Your Journey said...

It sounds like things are going very well. I love the picture. I can just imagine what he is thinking. :-)