Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Poetry or Rock and Roll

I took a poetry class in college.
There is just something about the written word in prose.
Things like
And I, I took the one less traveled by
-And that has made all the difference.

Just gets you right here doesn't it?

Well, writers block had set in
and I had a poem due.

My friend Mike said, "How about this:
There is unrest in the forest
There is trouble with the trees
For the Maples want more sunlight
And the Oaks ignore their pleas."

"Wow," I exclaimed, "That's really good!"
Starting to write, I thought I could make something of this!

Chuckling, he said, "Yeah, you better not use it.
It's a song."

The Rock Group who sings this song is
one of the most talented I know of.
They have been dubbed: Heavy Metal Goes to College.
There are three men in the group
Drums, Guitar, and Vocals/Bass/Keyboard
The drummer writes all of the lyrics-
deep thought provoking poetry
The other two write all the music.
They have been together for probably 40 years
and still touring.

Their name?
Rush
Did I turn in the poem?
No. I have to admit that I thought about it, I was pretty sure my professor had never heard Rush before, but, well, you know that whole integrity thing.

4 comments:

Mike J said...

I would have turned it in, in fact I did at one point. That assignment it was OK to use someone else's poem though. That is still just about the only poem I still know and it's a really long one. There is that other one about the birdie in the snow that gets stepped on but we won't go there.

Twisted Fencepost said...

My luck....the professor would have been a huge Rush fan. And he would have failed me on everything I turned in afterward.

JoLyn said...

It's weird to think of rock and roll as poetry...but I have to say there's a lot of the oldies that are really good! (Then there's the ones that are slightly repetitive...)

everydayMOM said...

Funny...

Now let's talk about your background! I love all the changes. Do you have it on some sort of automatic rotation schedule?? =]